This smooth, creamy soup has a hint of sweetness from coconut milk and an earthy tang from fresh ginger root. Add a level of decadence to the dish by serving in a hollowed pumpkin; your guests will enjoy the bold and delightful aroma that escapes as they remove the stemmed tops.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 sugar pumpkin- you will need enough to yield 1lb roasted pumpkin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4 small pumpkins for serving, seeds and string removed
1. Cut the sugar pumpkin in half and remove the seeds and strings. Roast the pumpkin on a rimmed baking sheet for 1 hour at 375F.
2. Allow the pumpkin to cool. Then, remove the skin. This should come right off easily.
3. Heat the butter in a large pot over medium high heat.
4. Add the shallot, ginger, and celery, stirring until tender.
5. Add the pumpkin. and chicken broth, stirring occasionally.
6. Use a food processor or handheld emulsifier to blend the mixture.
7. Add the coconut milk and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
8. Serve with croutons!