Because combining shellfish with sausage elevates any comfort food.
It was finally warm enough to clam this weekend, but it was still harsh out. Afterwards I needed to cozy up with some rich food...and some wine (you haven’t drank an entire bottle if you used some of it for cooking).
- 3 cups clam juice
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ chopped sweet onion
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ pound hot italian sausage without casings and chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chopped clams
- parmesan cheese
1. Add the clam juice and water to a saucepan on the back burner. Turn on low heat and keep the mix simmering throughout the recipe.
2. Add the butter to a large pot. Once it’s melted, add the onion. Stir until the onion is translucent (about 3-4 minutes).
3. Add sausage and the garlic. Stir until no longer pink ( about 3-5 minutes).
4. Add the rice. Stir until the edges of the rice turn translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
5. Add the wine and stir until absorbed (about 4-5 minutes).
6. Add the simmering clam/water in batches of 1 ½ cups at a time. Wait to add a new batch until the former is absorbed.
7. When the risotto texture is of your liking, add the clams for a minute or two until cooked.
8. Plate the risotto and grate the cheese on top.